Graduate Production Scientist – Manufacturing Rapid Tests
- Job Number: C1086
- Employer: BBI Solutions
- Duration: Initially temporary until April 2021 but likely to be extended/permanent
- Salary: Competitive
- Shift Patterns: (6am-2pm, 1.30-9.30pm (on rotation) and 8am-4pm Saturday OR Sunday every other weekend)
- Starting date: Immediate
Application Deadline: Ongoing but immediate positions to fill
BBI Solutions is a leading supplier of biological raw materials and finished test platforms to the in-vitro diagnostic market. Now based in Crumlin, Newport, and over 50 years’ experience, we have grown from a small specialist company to a global business with manufacturing sites spanning three continents.
We deliver exceptional products and services that people ultimately rely on to enjoy a better quality of life.
Duties and Responsibilities
A QC Scientist reports into a Senior QC Scientists and performs in-process and final testing on the BBI Diagnostic product range, including rapid tests, liquid conjugates and gold colloid, ensuring that all product tests/activities under job description are carried out on time and in line with set specifications, customer requirements, global/site procedures, industry standards and regulations as required.
It is likely that a role may initially be assigned to a specific area of the business (e.g. Systems, Engineering, Lateral Flow, Enzymes), however the nature of the Quality organisation is such that roles will be expected to operate across those different parts of the organisation so that the right skills are deployed where needed as determined by the business.
Within your role, your key duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Carry out in-process and final tests to support manufacturing and R&D activities using calibrated equipment and in accordance with QC Procedures (QCPs).
- Carry out testing of incoming raw materials and record results on Incoming Data Sheets (IDSs).
- Carry out release of conjugates using the Sage ERP system.
- Record and investigate out of specification and out of trend results; also deviations. Alert QC Team Leader to any significant quality problem that is identified by self.
- Manage stability trials and perform testing at scheduled intervals. Record results in QCP and generate reports/maintain spreadsheets.
- Manage QC inventory.
- Carry out quality monitoring and trending of the Purified Water System and record results on monitoring form.
- Carry out cross-over studies on new QC controls; also stability testing at scheduled intervals. Record results in QCP and generate reports/maintain spreadsheets.
- Initiate required changes to QC documents in accordance with change control procedures; similarly, in conjunction with R&D, for new procedures to support product development.
- Act as key customer contact for specific products and represent QC at various meetings, including R&D project transfers.
- Participate in quality improvement opportunities within QC and support the quality improvement initiatives undertaken by other departments.
- Alert QC Manager, as soon as is reasonably practicable, to any significant quality problem that is identified by self, especially if there is a direct impact on products that have already been released to Customers.
- Ensure all external customer communications are managed promptly and professionally.
- Ensure that all activities carried out by self are in accordance with site and legislative employment policies and safety requirements.
- Ensure all activities comply with Health and Safety legislation or BBI policies
- To always work in accordance with company standards and regulatory guidelines
- To actively meet individual, team and company aims and objectives.
- To display company core values at all times.
- To behave in a positive and professional manner.
- To demonstrate clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- To be highly self-motivated and organised.
- To demonstrate excellent customer care skills.
- To provide suggestions that will contribute to the development of the Company.
- To work as part of the team and help foster good working relationships.
- To actively keep updated with the company’s products and services.
- To keep up to date with relevant industry developments.
- To adhere to the Company Health and Safety policy
- To report any unsafe conditions, equipment or practices immediately to the appropriate manager.
- To develop yourself where appropriate by attending courses, meetings, training events, workshops and seminars, in order to not only develop yourself but also the company.
- To follow all company policies and procedures.
- To conduct any other duties as requested by your Manager
|Qualifications and Training||1. Science based degree (preferably Forensic Science or Human Biology|
|Knowledge and Experience||1. Laboratory experience, report writing experience and be proficient in MS Word and Excel.
2. Have relevant experience within the medical devices/pharmaceutical industry, ideally will be familiar with FDA /GMP/ISO13485 requirements
|Key Skills Required||1. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
2. Continuous improvement; seek out new ways to improve processes and overcome obstacles.
3. Analysis of QC data using computer programmes
4. Excellent Time-keeping
5. Excellent team-working ability; working with QC Scientists to achieve QC testing6. Able to work flexible and varying shift patterns
|Demonstrable Behaviours||1. Attention to detail
4. Reliable/ Honest
BBI is a fast-paced, determined and agile business. Commercially-led, the current structure of our teams enables quick decision-making and the opportunity to work within a broad and varied remit.
Our culture gives our people the opportunity to influence and collaborate in a friendly and open environment. We also recognise and develop potential within our teams.We look for the following interpersonal skills in our people which demonstrate behaviours representing our values of partnership, empowerment, precision and potential:
- Customer focussed – We recognise that our customers are key to our success
- Innovation – We like our employees to seek out better ways of working
- Strong decision-making capabilities – Ability to meet multiple demands and be deadline-driven
- An active listener – Using coaching and mentoring as a preferred style of managing
- Committed to developing their team – and the wider business, capable of and willing to participate in continuous learning
- Competent at managing change – independently and at a team level
- Willing to “pitch in” – getting involved at all levels
- Ambassadors – To be ambassadors of BBI at all times
- Able to work under pressure – and maintain a positive manner