Graduate Production Scientist – Manufacturing Rapid Tests
- Job Number: C1085
- Employer: BBI Solutions
- Duration: Initially temporary until April 2021 but likely to be extended/permanent
- Salary: Competitive
- Working Hours: Monday – Friday / 6pm – 2pm
- Starting date: Immediate
Applications close – Ongoing but immediate start
BBI Solutions is a leading supplier of biological raw materials and finished test platforms to the in-vitro diagnostic market. Now based in Crumlin, Newport, and over 50 years’ experience, we have grown from a small specialist company to a global business with manufacturing sites spanning three continents.
We deliver exceptional products and services that people ultimately rely on to enjoy a better quality of life.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Production Scientist is primarily responsible for the bulk production of lateral flow immunoassays (LFI) at the Site. The Production Scientist is considered proficient on all things relating to the production of LFIs, to include gold conjugation and scale optimization. Additionally, Production Scientists can provide assistance to the development team with development projects being validated and transferred into manufacturing. To ensure product quality, the Production Scientist is also responsible for maintaining the Production Laboratory in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and the practices adopted on-site.
Within your role, your key duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- The use of all production equipment relevant to the manufacture of LFI (to include basic preventative maintenance and ensuring the equipment is within calibration).
- The assembly of LFI devices to include: lamination, housing, and final kit packaging.
Ensuring that all work complies with quality audit processes (ISO9001 and ISO13485) and maintains compliance with on-site quality system requirements.
- Ensuring that batch record completion is up to date and accurate.
- The preparation of routine buffers for use in the laboratory.
- The production of intermediate components, to include: sample pad preparation, conjugate pad preparation, upperwick preparation, gold conjugation, nitrocellulose striping and gold conjugate striping.
- The optimization of existing products for bulk scale production.
Providing limited scientific input throughout the transfer and validation of existing products and technologies into the facility.
- Assisting in the qualification and validation of new equipment required for scale-up production.
- Drafting documentation, including Production Procedures, Validation, and Equipment Procedures.
- Ensuring that manufacturing facilities are kept within compliance, clean, and that safety procedures are adhered to.
- Completing non-conformances and planned deviations and CAPAs when required.
- Maintaining accurate inventory counts within the inventory management system by issuing items and completing work orders when required.
- Completing purchase requisition forms or requesting purchasing when required.
- Assisting in the training of Production staff and new team members when required.
- Referring to appropriate persons when technical or quality situations arise.
- To always work in accordance with company standards and regulatory guidelines
- To actively meet individual, team and company aims and objectives.
- To display company core values at all times.
- To behave in a positive and professional manner.
- To demonstrate clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- To be highly self-motivated and organised.
- To demonstrate excellent customer care skills.
- To provide suggestions that will contribute to the development of the Company.
- To work as part of the team and help foster good working relationships. To actively keep updated with the company’s products and services.
- To keep up to date with relevant industry developments.
- To adhere to the Company Health and Safety policy
- To report any unsafe conditions, equipment or practices immediately to the appropriate manager.
- To develop yourself where appropriate by attending courses, meetings, training events, workshops and seminars, in order to not only develop yourself but also the company.
- To follow all company policies and procedures.
- To conduct any other duties as requested by your Manager
|Qualifications and Training||1. Degree in the physical sciences (chemistry, biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, etc.) or equivalent experience.
2. Demonstrates proficiency with common laboratory techniques.
3. Must be able to achieve and maintain a Government Security Clearance if necessary.
|Knowledge and Experience||1. Experience working in a GMP, ISO 13485 and/or ISO 9001 environment is preferred.
2. A fundamental understanding of production techniques used for lateral flow assay manufacturing is preferred.
|Key Skills Required||
|Demonstrable Behaviours||1. Providing a positive attitude to boost team morale.
2. Accountability and a ‘right first time’ attitude.
3. Provide valuable input into team meetings.
BBI is a fast-paced, determined and agile business. Commercially-led, the current structure of our teams enables quick decision-making and the opportunity to work within a broad and varied remit.
Our culture gives our people the opportunity to influence and collaborate in a friendly and open environment. We also recognise and develop potential within our teams.We look for the following interpersonal skills in our people which demonstrate behaviours representing our values of partnership, empowerment, precision and potential:
- Customer focussed – We recognise that our customers are key to our success
- Innovation – We like our employees to seek out better ways of working
- Strong decision-making capabilities – Ability to meet multiple demands and be deadline-driven
- An active listener – Using coaching and mentoring as a preferred style of managing
- Committed to developing their team – and the wider business, capable of and willing to participate in continuous learning
- Competent at managing change – independently and at a team level
- Willing to “pitch in” – getting involved at all levels
- Ambassadors – To be ambassadors of BBI at all times
- Able to work under pressure – and maintain a positive manner