Job Number: C1098
- Employer – Natural Resources Wales
- Location – Cardiff
- Hours – 37 hours a week
- Internship Duration: Permanent
- Salary – from £30, 873
Applications close: Sunday 7th March
You must apply for this role via the Natural Resources Wales website portal, applications sent via the Cardiff Capital Region Graduate Scheme website will not be accepted
About the Role
This is an exciting new opportunity for those with flood risk management experience to join our national Flood Warning & Informing team. Natural Resources Wales has a statutory duty to provide a flood warning service to communities at risk of flooding in Wales.
The Flood Warning & Informing team is responsible for delivery our policy, strategy and business critical systems which enable Natural Resources Wales to provide a direct flood warning service to over 120,000 people at risk of river and coastal flooding in Wales, as well as providing information via other channels including our website, Floodline and open digital data API.
This role will support a growing team which will deliver an ambitious programme of work to improve our flood warning and informing services over the next five years, including drawing on lessons learnt from the February 2020 Floods Review. The team will also lead work to deliver a replacement Flood Warning System when our current contracted service ends in 2022. This will entail close working through our partnership with the Environment Agency in England as well as with customers in Wales to ensure any new system is resilient, meets customer needs and keeps pace with technological change.
Key areas of focus over the next few years will be how we can continue to improve our digital services to those at risk of flooding as well as realising efficiencies in service delivery so we can re-invest savings to make service improvements elsewhere.
As well as delivering within this specialist team, the Officer will be expected to contribute directly to our 24/7 flood forecasting and warning service delivery through joining our Monitoring and Forecasting Duty Officer rota. This rota provides a flood forecasting service for river and coastal flooding across Wales which is used to inform our flood warning decisions and our operational response on the ground.
The post holder will:
- Contribute to the preparation of NRW flood warning and informing policy, strategy and guidance documents, including system procedures;
- Contribute to the development of automated tools for flood warning and informing data processing, analysis and reporting;
- Retrieve and analyse flood warning service data from our own and others digital archives. Quality assure and analyse the data for trends and statistics to inform our work on flood warning and informing policy, strategy and services. Produce reports and share these within the team and with Operations Warning and Informing teams, ensuring that technical data, analysis and other information you create is archived appropriately for others to use in the future;
- Collate, analyse and manage data and information being generated by Operations Directorate staff on a once only basis for Wales to ensure that progress and learning from flood warning and informing service delivery is actively captured and disseminated to all relevant stakeholders, including Welsh Government;
- Carry out post-flood event analyses using flood warning system data to assess the performance of flood warning systems and services, producing reports and sharing these within the team and with Operations Warning & Informing teams;
- Support delivery of new ways of working within the team and with Operations Warning & Informing teams;
- Maintain flood warning service content on the NRW website, working where necessary with Digital Communications and the Flood Community Engagement and Resilience teams to ensure our digital content is up to date and integrate with other flood risk advice on our website;
- Work with UK wide partner organisations and suppliers to ensure current services and products NRW depends on are delivered and maintained in working order, including Floodline;
- Provide project and programme support to the Flood Warning Service Review implementation programme;
- Contribute to the delivery of a flood forecasting service by undertaking the role of the monitoring and forecasting duty officer. This is a rota’d duty officer role, on standby duty, 24/7, approximately one week in every six; as well as this, to be available as far as is reasonable, to assist in operational response during prolonged flood events when not on standbyT
Key Job Qualifications or Knowledge:
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience;
- Relevant work experience of flood risk management, flood forecasting, flood warning, hydrology, hydrometry, river/coastal modelling or technical support;
- Ability to analyse, interrogate and interpret a range of environmental or technical information and data, including analysing large data sets;
- An ability to plan ahead and deliver is essential;
- Competence in a range of IT software, specifically Geographic Information Systems and the suite of Microsoft Office software;
- Working in a programme and project management environment with programme management and project support experience.
You must apply for this role via the Natural Resources Wales website portal, applications sent via the Cardiff Capital Region Graduate Scheme website will not be acceptedApply Now